Wednesday, November 21, 2018

New Roommate?

So as I was saying farewell to the roommate website because it's turned into a SPAM website more than a useful tool to find compatible person to share space in a specific location. So I sent messages to a dozen or so people and this message below was the one that received a response:

I am honest, kind, reliable, respectful - you? I've been looking to share a place for a while without much luck, so I am looking at renting a room again. Tell me more about your place? Please email (my email) as I am not paying for this site at the moment so I can't read messages here. Hope to hear from you, thanks. Ric


And he responded...

My name is (his name). you sent me a message about the room in Lake Mary.

Its a 4 bedroom 2 bath house 2000 sq ft. I am the only full time resident but kids some days. The room is by the front door and the bathroom will be private.

Does that sound like something you might be interested in?


And I responded back...

Just getting in from work. Does that sound like something I'd be interested in?... A resounding yes and a bit of no :)

The "yes" comes from wanting to live in a clean place (you wouldn't believe this place I rent these days), not that I'm OCD squeaky clean person, just want to be able to use a kitchen and bathroom without cleaning up behind someone every time... and I don't want to put a third of my salary into rent, which is what one bedrooms cost anywhere but the really bad neighborhoods. So I choose to give up some privacy to share space for comfort and security and keep costs down these days. I had a house in the 90's when 1800 sq ft could be had for a $900 15 year mortgage even with high interest rates. Feels like a few lifetimes ago. So anyway, most of me says yes. I do need to give my current roommate/landloard 30 days notice, but I can afford to overlap some too.

The "no" comes because I pay $140 a month for storage and I want to get my stuff out of there... and I am looking for a relatively permanent place because moving is not as much fun as I used to think it was. I've been thinking about buying a house, though financially I'd need to share most houses I'd like to buy. Before that sounds like a financial risk, I work for the County so income is steady (though a lot less than I used to make because I wanted a lighter load at work), have a credit rating that hovers around 800, and won't have a problem with $700 a month (even though I'd rather less... . hey, honesty is my way. :)

I've been looking for another roommate to share a space for almost two years and the right connection just hasn't happened. Living just five minutes from my desk has probably undermined my search somewhat... as unpleasant as living here can be, the convenience has me spoiled.

So that's a bit about me, specifically why I reached out and why I am needing to convince myself to move into someone else's house again. I really do want to be able to cook meals in a kitchen and make myself at home in a bathroom again. Have any room for some plastic storage bins in your garage? (I ask like we're already friends, but hey, $700 would be a lot easier if I wasn't paying for storage, so I can ask and hope :)

I write a lot and tend to ramble on paper, but I'm quiet and respectful at home. Since you want month to month, you can always boot me after a month if I rub you the wrong way (I don't think I will). Honesty is what I respect most. My careers and life has been about taking care of others. I've given everything I've had away a few times, which is why I probably won't retire again (I took a decade off when I was about your age, retired early, but started over after "love" didn't work out).

So what do you think now that you've read this?

Thanks for reading,


Followed by this text:

I just got home and emailed you a bit of an introduction and an answer to your question. I wrote it out because that helps me figure out what I want to do. If you understand maybe we can get together and talk. I've got dinner plans the next three nights. When would be good for you?


And he responded with several texts that summed up said I sound like someone I could share space with, that there is more than enough room in garage and house, he likes a clean home, the second bathroom would be mine alone, and he's looking for more than a month to month commitment. He read my words and responded to my concerns. Impressive. He's an engineer, which could be excellent compatibility on many levels.

So we meet at his place tomorrow.

Ok, so I am hopeful in spite of the compromises I sense there would have to be. Hopeful enough to post this here and link it to the daily blog. Of course part of me wants feedback and reassurance and encouragement and so on, but I don't expect to get any of that anymore. I post with that hope but just as much with the idea that this life I've lived is shared on some level even if I won't be around when the sharing actually happens.

Life may change dramatically in nine hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment